Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Monday long ride at PSP

Headed to Sonoran Preserve to hit the full North and South loops and see how I compare with some other Strava people on the segment. I know I wasn't going to get anywhere close to the top two people who are more than an hour faster on the segment than my last attempt. But I did have my eye on 3rd place currently owned by my friend T.

I headed out and had some wind to deal with. It was mostly at my back or a cross wind and would remain like that for the first half of the ride. Kinda nice, but kinda not because I knew I would be pushing straight into it on the second half.

All in all, the ride went great. I didn't burn too many matches at all, I was never on the verge of "blowing up" as I made a conscious effort to dial back the intensity on the climbs. In fact my biggest goal was to minimize my stopped time, which I did a great job of. My stats show about five minutes of stopped time which is about 3 minutes more than it actually should have been as I ended up in a conversation with a biker who had killed his back brake and I briefly helped him find it. Other than that, I had two small breaks where I grabbed a snack from my bag. I also had a couple quick stops to let some bikers by who were approaching me from a downhill.

I ended up with a time of 3:11, which should be good enough to place me solidly in 3rd place for the segment. BUT, strava apparently didn't think I rode the segment. The only thing I think could have caused it was that I started IN the parking lot, but the segment actually starts outside of the parking lot. Interesting.

I guess I'll have to try again to make it official.


No comments:

Post a Comment