Monday, May 2, 2016

It's been a while...

It has been a long freaking time (almost three years!!!) since I've posted anything. I have good reason to start again. Keep reading to find out...

I've been commuting via bike again twice a week. The shortest route I have is 23.5 miles. I have various options I am checking out to add mileage typically for on the way home. The first optional route I looked at checked in at 36 miles, but has a nice stretch along the AZ canal that means I get to avoid all vehicle traffic and stops. It's a slick setup, it's just too bad that it's a bit out of the way for me to get to.

The commuting thing has a couple of benefits. I get some good base training, at least six hours per week just for the commutes, with minimal impact to the family schedule. Score! This on top of my mountain bike rides will get me between 10 and 11 hours per week on the bike.

Why so much time on the bike? Well, first and foremost... I really need to get/stay in shape. It's a great stress reliever and it's great exercise.

Second, I need my butt in the saddle a lot as I have committed to doing the AZT 300 next year. Feels funny to type that, but this race has been on my radar for years now. After completing several AES rides and a solo overnight bikepack adventure, I feel like I just might be able to tackle this beast.

My only goal is to finish.

So much to do. My family knows my goal. A few of my biking friends know. Now it's out there on the internet...

More to come. It's gonna be a crazy year.








No comments:

Post a Comment