Sunday, November 25, 2018

Non-Traditional Thanksgiving...

This is the first year without my kids for Thanksgiving, so we pushed our normal family gathering to Friday when my kids could participate. This left me with a wide open Thursday.

Like. Wide. Open.

What better way to get out of my head than get out on the bike for a full day of riding. I had a couple of routing ideas depending on how I was feeling- so I pieced together a really challenging route knowing that it would take a really perfect day to get it done. I also had a couple of easier options in my head just in case my body just wouldn't perform. At the end of the day, I ended up doing my middle option, and it ended up being just about perfect. I'll have to keep that big route in mind for when I have any semblance of climbing ability...

Another sunrise. Spectacular. In spite of everything, I have so much to be thankful for.

Gravel grind near Deem Hills with a few little punchy climbs to get the heart going on the way to PSP.

I started from my house and got on some flat gravel paths that parallel the CAP canal. This path skirts along the northern edge of Deem Hills. I briefly thought about mixing in some of the trails there, but thought better of it. I wanted to be at this all day and most of the riding there isn't super easy, so I just bypassed it on the way to Phoenix Sonoran Preserve.

Near the Desert Vista trailhead.

Again here at PSP I had a ton of trails that I could have gotten into but I was really just more concerned with getting up to Spur Cross in Cave Creek. So I took a pretty easy (read: limit the climbing as much as possible) route from the south loops across to the Apache Wash area where I would ride the flats and access the cave creek / spur cross trails.

Plenty of hot air balloons out this morning. Reminders of the past. 

Super fast and pretty singletrack through here.

My first time crossing under Carefree Highway since they built this.

Woah - this was right after passing under the bridge. So pretty.

Another wtf moment. Felt like I was passing into another world here. This kind of vegetation/trail combo is rare here in the lower deserts. 
I ended up linking in to the Flume trail and then into Slate trail. I would do this section again near the end of this loop. I've only done this section once before and it was really fun, but had a couple steep/loose transitions that had me hopping off the bike to avoid burning matches I would need later.

I always seem to take a picture here. 

Just a little bit of water here in Cave Creek

A view from the top of Surrey Hill. Wow that reroute is steep af!

I ate a small snack and bombed down the pavement to Cave Creek Road. This normally very busy area was uncharacteristically quiet due to the holiday. I took the opportunity to take a very necessary photo:

Serious.
Time for the road grind up to the Spur Cross trailhead. I was feeling it a bit on this climb. It's nothing really, but it is sustained. Right around here I mentally bailed out of my HUGE route option. I was still in on the middle one.

I passed the parking area and was surprised to see so many cars. Then I arrived at the pay station and was shocked it was staffed. I was happy I remembered about the three dollar entry fee and had thrown some cash in my pack. I paid my fee and got started. The climb from the pay station to the split was surprisingly hard. I took a short break there to catch my breath...

Don't forget to breath...


The next bit of trail is just fantastic and very pretty. I ran into 5 other trail users on this bit to the top of the spur cross climb. That is pretty unheard of here so I was happy to enjoy the solitude. That said, this climb was wrecking me. I used to be able to get to the top without stopping, but I had to take a couple breaks this time on the way up. I was also getting hungry, but wanted to get to the top first...

Wonderful trail routing with sweet views

Pretty sure this was a "stop to breath" break


Eventually, the top of the climb was achieved and it was time for a late breakfast...

Not really a traditional Thanksgiving food, but burritos give mountain bikers superpowers.

Feeling better already. Shouldn't have eaten the whole thing, but I did. #fatkidproblems
I enjoyed my quiet time up here, eating and just reflecting on the past year. I reapplied sunscreen (even though it was mostly cloudy most of the day) and sent out some texts and an instagram post since I had service.

I immediately regretted my decision to eat the entire burrito during the descent from the top. It's rocky and kinda rough. Then it gets quick and you can push the pace a bit after the rocks clear up. Two cattle scared me as I was blowing through as they were laying under a tree and they were starting to stand as I approached. Right after this, two riders came up behind me and I let them pass. I ended up catching up to them right before the re-route section started. I stopped and said hi and told them I was just gonna hang there because I didn't want them to have to pass me again. We talked bikes for a few minutes then they were off. I let them go and that was the last time I saw them.

Chain lube break

This descent is a blast. Normally choked with horses, there were none to be found today. 
I didn't want to take the surrey hill section of trail again, so I opted to take the other cave creek trails out towards Cave Creek Road. Stopped, re-upped the sunscreen, lubed the chain and then got ready to go full roadie.

Last bit of Cave Creek dirt before hitting Cave Creek Road.

It was about 20 miles of road riding to reach the Tatum and Shea trailhead with a brief jaunt on a portion of Reach 11 in order to access the bike path that parallels state route 51.

A little flat dirt to break up the pavement. Reach 11 provides an easy path under the 101 and links directly to the bike path the parallels the 51.

There are a series of bridges that pass over roads and even the freeway. 

Trailhead just south of Tatum and Shea 

Poptart refuel break.
I think it was around 3:30 when I got started on the westbound T100 jaunt. I had wanted to go coast to coast, but I was starting to be "done" and the easy bailout at dreamy draw to get to the canal was too good to pass up. I knew I still had close to 25 miles to get to my mom's house where there was a small gathering of family - we were going to celebrate on Friday with the whole family since I would have my kids that day - so I made the call to just get there so I could hang out and eat some early Thanksgiving goodness.

Bridge at Dreamy Draw. I was cooked.

I've had enough. Let's get home.

Easy riding through the slope. Flat except for the underpasses.

Yeah, you can ride next to the water in Phoenix :)

Castle's 'n Coasters was open which surprised me. You can hear the screams for a long distance after you pass.

I have bittersweet memories of the Sea Dragon.

The sunset didn't quiet match the sunrise from the morning, but still solid.

This is at Rio Vista park. 

Donning lights for the final push to my mom's

After a shower and some clean clothes and some delicious food, it's play and cuddle time with my nephews. Oh and #sillyface

All in all it was a really good day on the bike. No body or bike issues - well other than I am heavier than I should be and I have zero climbing legs. I'm guessing those two things are related. Whatever though. As bad as my fitness is, I'm still thankful that I have the fitness and gear to be able to go out all day. Anytime you can start a ride at sunrise and finish at/after sunset is a day to cherish.


Relive 'Cycling sampler platter - trails, gravel and road. Main course was me prepared two ways... FAT AND SLOW'

No comments:

Post a Comment