Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Of commutes in 113 degrees

Last Friday I continued my routine of my Tuesday/Friday commutes via bike to work. Nothing extraordinary about it, except for the high temp forecast for the day of 113...

A few of my strava friends commented about being careful and questioning my judgement. I told them not to worry. I have ridden the mountain bike in temps of 110 before. You just have to be smart about it. Utilize the shade at every opportunity. Pre-hydrate. Electrolytes.

Being on the road bike is a bit different than MTB just because it is more steady state pedaling. Less coasting opportunities especially here in Phoenix. The only thing I did a bit differently to help ensure my pace wasn't too high was to make sure I was only breathing in and out through my nose. If I had to open my mouth, I was going too hard.

I ended up making it home with no issues. I probably went a bit too easy to be honest, but no reason to be stupid either. The heat is no joke and will catch up to you quickly if you let it.

No comments:

Post a Comment